Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Glow in the dark FIREFLY Jar

Summer time is full of fun. One of my favorite things about summer is the “lightning bugs” as we called them. I think the actual name is Firefly though. Just the other day I was thinking how cool it would be if I actually had time to catch enough fire flies to put in a jar before all the mosquitoes carried the kids and I off…lol… Unfortunately, we often have problems at the end of the evening when they have a jar full of fireflies and its bedtime.  They don't want to part with their glowing, flickering jars of light, but I don't really want a jar full of bugs in the house.  So here was my AH HAA moment.
Here I’m gonna show you how I made the Kids a Glow in the dark Firefly Jar… Its super doper easy, so here goes…

1.Gather all your supplies, I literally had all these things at home…

What you need is:

  • A plastic or glass CLEAR jar with the lid. (plastic jar is much easier to poke hole in the lid, and you don’t have to worry about you or the kiddo’s dropping it and breaking it…)

  • Sharpie Marker

  • Paint brush

  •  Glow in the dark acrylic paint (found at Wal-Mart)

·         I used finger nail polish, because I couldn’t find all my craft paint…and this was still in my box from Halloween!




2.  Paint small ovals on the INSIDE of your jar using the glow-in-the-dark paint.  Add a second coat if it needs more coverage.



3.  Using your Sharpie, add the lightning bugs' antennae and wings on the OUTSIDE of the jar.  


4.  That's it!!  On the next nice evening, take your jar outside and fill it with flickering fireflies.  When it's bedtime, let the real fireflies loose and bring your jar inside.  We put ours near a bright light while we brush our teeth, then put it next to our beds to watch the glowing lights as we fall asleep.

It was so simple and has worked great for us!